Meet Your Weight Loss Goals Using the Orbera® Intragastric Balloon
Many patients believe their only weight loss options are diet or invasive surgery. The Orbera® Intragastric Balloon System offers a weight loss alternative that delivers better results than dieting alone, without the need for invasive procedures such as gastric bypass or gastric sleeve. By placing a safe, saline-filled silicone balloon in your stomach, you can retrain your body to observe better portion control. Dr. Ramon Robles, who has more than 15 years of experience serving Arizona, performs this minimally invasive, non-surgical procedure in Phoenix, AZ.
Benefits of the Orbera Intragastric Balloon
Patients who undergo Orbera Intragastric Balloon treatment can benefit from drastic weight loss without the need to undergo invasive weight loss surgery. This non-surgical alternative is:
- Minimally invasive: Since no incisions are made and no portion of your stomach is removed, you can benefit from a lower risk for complications and a quick recovery. Most patients are able to return to work after three days. Recovery from bariatric surgery, by comparison, often requires several days or weeks of recovery.
- Reversible: Once your weight loss goals have been met, the balloon can be easily removed. The non-surgical removal procedure takes about 20 minutes.
- Fast and effective results: Results indicate that patients who undergo the Orbera treatment program lose 3.1 times more weight in six months than patients who choose diet and exercise alone. It is not uncommon for individuals to lose 30 to 50 pounds or more in the first six months of treatment.
- More affordable than surgical alternatives: Intragastric balloon treatments can be performed for several thousand dollars. The cost of gastric sleeve, by comparison, can easily run over than $20,000.
- An alternative for individuals who are not eligible for surgery: Medications, disease, and other complicating conditions can make certain patients ineligible for weight loss surgery. Since intragastric balloon procedures do not require surgery, the system is a weight loss option for most individuals.
Am I a Candidate for the Orbera Intragastric Balloon System?
Most individuals who suffer from obesity, struggle to lose weight, and have a body mass index (BMI) between 30 and 40 are good candidates for the Orbera System. Candidates will undergo a physical examination and Dr. Robles will inquire into your medical history and weight loss goals before recommending this treatment.
The Orbera® Intragastric Balloon System offers a weight loss alternative that delivers better results than dieting alone, without the need for invasive procedures.
Those interested in the treatment should understand the potential complications that may arise. Though rare, this procedure has the potential to induce side effects such as nausea, vomiting, stomach discomfort, and acid reflux in certain individuals.
Since the Orbera Intragastric Balloon System is a one-year program that involves lifestyle changes, candidates should be willing to adjust their eating habits. In order to maximize the benefits of Orbera, candidates should be willing to openly communicate with a support team of dieticians, fitness trainers, and physicians.
How Does the Orbera Intragastric Balloon Work?
Once your candidacy has been established, an appointment will be scheduled to place your intragastric balloon. Mild sedation may be used to ensure you feel comfortable throughout the procedure. Before the balloon is inserted through your esophagus, your throat will be numbed using a local anesthetic spray.
Once the gastric balloon is placed in your stomach, Dr. Robles will use a catheter or small tube to fill the tube to a predetermined amount (usually 400 to 700 milliliters). The balloon will safely float in your stomach for the next six months. The outpatient procedure is normally completed in less than 30 minutes. The balloon is removed in much the same way, with the procedure also lasting under 30 minutes.
Learn More about the Orbera System Today
Orbera medical products have been safely used by nearly 300,000 individuals around the world. If you are frustrated with the lack of results from dieting and exercise, but do not want to undergo invasive weight loss surgery, contact our office online or call Dr. Ramon Robles and his team at (602) 266-5100 to learn more about the Orbera Intragastric Balloon alternative.
“Dr. Robles is an amazing surgeon, and I cannot thank him enough for the results he was able to give me. His bedside manner was great and appropriate for a surgeon. He was very informative and forthcoming.” RealSelf User