Liposuction Can Help You Achieve a Slimmer Appearance
Even after following a strict diet and exercise routine, it can be extremely difficult to eliminate excess fat around the abdomen, hips, thighs, and other areas. Dr. Ramon Robles offers liposuction at his Phoenix, AZ, practice to help patients achieve the look they desire. This cosmetic procedure, also known as lipoplasty, can be combined with other surgical procedures, such as a Brazilian butt lift to achieve an aesthetically pleasing body contour.
Are You a Good Candidate?
If you are pregnant, nursing, under the age of 18, or have a serious health condition, you may not be a good candidate for this procedure. Because liposuction is considered surgery, it is important that you are in good overall health before undergoing this procedure. In order to qualify for liposuction, Dr. Robles will also recommend that you do not smoke and be within 20 to 25 pounds of your ideal body weight.
Patients considering liposuction should also have realistic expectations of results. For example, this procedure should not be viewed as a weight loss solution but rather the final phase in achieving a beautifully contoured silhouette. Furthermore, patients should understand that if they do not maintain a healthy lifestyle following liposuction, the results could be negated. While some initial results will be noticeable right away, it can take up to six months for the full effects of liposuction to become apparent. Therefore, some patience is required.
Dr. Robles will meet with you during an initial consultation to determine if you are a good candidate for this procedure. He will also review your medical history, cosmetic goals, and customize a treatment plan to meet your needs. He will explain in detail what to expect during the procedure and provide you with detailed postoperative instructions to follow so you can optimize your results.
What to Expect during Liposuction
Before surgery, Dr. Robles will administer anesthesia to make you as comfortable as possible. Depending on your cosmetic goals, liposuction can either be performed individually on the arms, thighs, back, hips, or abdomen, or be used in conjunction with another cosmetic procedure, such as an abdominoplasty or mommy makeover. It can also be used to transfer fat to your breasts or buttock to add volume.
At Robles Plastic Surgery, we perform this procedure with the tumescent technique and power-assisted liposuction (PAL) machinery:
- Tumescent technique: During this technique, Dr. Robles will first inject a mixture of salt, lidocaine, and epinephrine into the fat layer before removing fat cells. This special solution shrinks blood vessels and simultaneously isolates fat cells, making the fat tissue easier to remove.
- Power-assisted liposuction: Dr. Robles will insert a small vibrating tube, also known as a cannula, into the fat layer to break up fat cells for easy removal. This machinery is ideal for larger areas since it allows the doctor to remove more fat cells at once.
The length of your procedure will depend on how many areas are receiving treatment. In most cases, it takes about one hour per treatment area. However, if your treatment is being performed in addition to another cosmetic procedure, it could take several hours. You may experience some mild soreness and bruising immediately after the procedure, but you will notice tighter skin and an improved shape within a matter of weeks.
Temporary Side Effects after Liposuction
Because liposuction is considered a surgical procedure, patients who undergo this treatment can expect some temporary side effects during their recovery, including:
- Discomfort: Soreness and tenderness can be managed with a combination of prescription medications and over-the-counter pain relievers.
- Bruising: Targeted areas may become bruised and tender to the touch. However, this side effect should not be a cause for concern and generally begins to disappear after approximately four weeks.
- Swelling: Liposuction can result in swelling and inflammation near the treatment areas. This is normal and should diminish over time. However, if there are significant increases in swelling during the healing period, be sure to inform your doctor.
This procedure should not be viewed as a weight loss solution but rather the final phase in achieving a beautifully contoured silhouette.
Maintaining Your Results after Liposuction
Liposuction removes fat cells, but it does not prevent further fat cells from developing in the area. Therefore, patients will need to adhere to a well-balanced diet and regular exercise regimen to maintain their results.
In general, individuals should eat a diet high in lean proteins, fresh produce, whole grains, and calcium-rich dairy products. It is important to drink plenty of water and decrease your intake of processed foods.
In addition to decreasing your risk for high blood pressure, heart disease, and depression, exercise increases your muscle definition and keeps the extra pounds off. Many patients choose walking, jogging, cycling, swimming, yoga, and similar activities.
Liposuction Cost Factors
Because liposuction is a fully personalized treatment, the cost can vary significantly for each patient. However, the average cost of the procedure is between $2,000 and $3,500 per treatment area. There are several factors that can affect the total fees, including:
- Size of treatment area: In general, the larger the targeted area, the more expensive the treatment will be. For example, a patient who undergoes liposuction on the arms will typically pay less than an individual who desires to address the abdomen or back.
- Number of treatment areas: Patients who wish to address multiple parts of the body will generally pay more than someone who wants to enhance the appearance of a single area.
- Type of procedure performed: There are several methods available when performing liposuction. More advanced techniques, such as laser or ultrasound assisted surgery, generally cost more.
- Body type: Liposuction cost is determined by the amount of fat removed during the procedure. Therefore, this treatment could cost more for larger patients.
- Geographical location: As with most medical procedures, liposuction generally costs more when performed by a surgeon in a large metropolitan area.
- Experience and reputation of doctor: A surgeon who is highly experienced will likely charge more than a doctor who has recently graduated.
At Robles Plastic Surgery, we believe everyone should have access to the treatments they deserve. That is why we offer flexible financing options. In addition to accepting CareCredit®, we also offer a number of in-house financing plans. Our team can help you determine a payment solution that works well with your lifestyle and budget.
Contact Us Today
At Robles Plastic Surgery, we want to help you achieve a slimmer and more toned body with aesthetically pleasing results for years to come. We also offer male liposuction for patients seeking to restore more masculine contours. Contact our office today to schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Robles.
“Dr. Robles is an amazing surgeon, and I cannot thank him enough for the results he was able to give me. His bedside manner was great and appropriate for a surgeon. He was very informative and forthcoming.” RealSelf User