Understand What to Expect From Your Breast Augmentation Surgery
We understand the decision to undergo breast augmentation is highly personal, and you may have several questions and concerns. To ensure that you understand and are comfortable with every aspect of the procedure, Dr. Ramon Robles will walk you through what to expect during breast augmentation surgery at his Phoenix, AZ, practice. With proper planning and research, the procedure can be a safe investment in your confidence. Contact our office today to schedule a consultation and learn if breast augmentation is right for you.
The Basics of Breast Augmentation Surgery
Breast augmentation is typically an outpatient procedure, lasting 1.5 to two hours. Patients will receive general anesthesia before surgery begins to ensure that they remain comfortable throughout the procedure. Dr. Robles also incorporates a special, new type of anesthesia which helps minimize potential dizziness or nausea when patients wake up afterward.
Once the patient is sedated, Dr. Robles will strategically place an incision and create a small pocket underneath the breast. Once the implant is inserted and carefully positioned for the best symmetry, the incision is closed and the patient is sent to the recovery room. You will be discharged within the day and a close friend or family member should drive you home.
With Dr. Robles' rapid recovery techniques, patients can return to work in two to three days, rather than a week, and restart their exercise routine by the end of the week.
While the outline of the surgery is generally the same from patient to patient, a number of factors affect the specifics of your procedure.
Placing the Implants
Two types of breast implants are available to patients considering augmentation: saline and silicone.
- Saline: These implants consist of a sterile saltwater solution encased in a flexible silicone shell. While it can be filled before placement, most surgeons prefer to fill the shell after it has been positioned in surgery, so that they can more precisely adjust the implant.
- Silicone: Silicone implants encase a thick, flexible gel that closely mimics the appearance and texture of natural breasts.
Depending on the type of implant you select, your body type, and the degree of enlargement, Dr. Robles can perform the augmentation through one of three places: under the breast, around the areola, or under the arm.
- Inframammary: This incision is made under the breast fold and the technique does not interfere with the mammary tissue itself. As a result, there is a much lower risk of breastfeeding difficulties, making it one of the more popular options.
- Periareolar: This incision is placed around the areola, the dark skin surrounding the nipple, it does cut through the mammary tissue and can affect nipple sensation. Consequently, it is typically recommended to patients who do not plan to breastfeed in the future.
- Transaxillary: The underarm incision requires the surgeon to tunnel from the arm to the chest to place the implant. Thus it is easier for the implants to shift outwards, resulting in a gap on the cleavage area.
Positioning the Implants
The implant can be placed either directly behind the breast gland or underneath the pectoral muscle. Subfascial placement, is an option available for only certain patients. Dr Robles places about 90% of implants submuscular.
Recovery: A Brief Outline
With proper preparation and Dr. Robles' rapid recovery technique, patients can return to work in two to three days, rather than a week, and restart their exercise routine by the end of the week. You can expect a much faster and more comfortable recovery than traditional augmentation surgery.
Contact Us Today
With over 4,000 successful breast augmentations performed, Dr. Robles has the experience to ensure a rapid recovery and the best results possible. Reach out today to schedule a consultation and learn more.
“Dr. Robles is an amazing surgeon, and I cannot thank him enough for the results he was able to give me. His bedside manner was great and appropriate for a surgeon. He was very informative and forthcoming.” RealSelf User