What Is a Breast Lift?
Breast Lift, or Mastopexy, is among one of the many cosmetic surgery procedures offered by Robles Plastic Surgery in the city of Phoenix. A breast lift is a procedure that raises sagging breasts by removing excess skin and tightening the surrounding tissue.
In breast lifts, your surgeon considers the tissue viability of the nipple-areola complex (NAC) to ensure that the breasts would still be functional for lactating and breast-feeding after the procedure is done. As a woman ages, the appearance of her breasts change and it loses its youthful firmness and shape. The most common effect is breast ptosis, or sagging, which can be corrected by breast lifts. Breast lifts can also help in reducing the size of the areola when it had increased in size due to beast feeding. They cannot, however, significantly increase or decrease the size of the breast, nor can it round out the upper part of the breast. That can be achieved through breast augmentation or reduction. Having a youthful breast profile after a mastopexy can dramatically improve one’s figure and definitely change one’s self-image.
Dr. Robles is AMAZING ! He is very knowledgeable and passionate about what he does . Not one time did I feel uncomfortable or as if I was doing the wrong thing . He has given me confidence I never knew I had ! Would highly recommended Dr. Robles in the future!
Why Do Breasts Sag?
Experts at the Robles Plastic Surgery Clinic in Phoenix list the following reasons that cause breast ptosis, or sagging:
- Gravity is the most common cause of breast sagging.
- Larger breasts sag because their size is not proportional to a very small body frame and, therefore, the elasticity of the skin is not designed to carry that much weight.
- Hormonal changes in a maternal body. After a woman conceives and breastfeeds, the adipose tissues are depleted and the milk glands shrink. This combined with the overstretching of the skin due to engorgement during the lactation period leads to sagging.
- For post-menopausal women, breast ptosis due to gravity is made worse by the lack of elasticity of the aging skin.
- Drastic loss in weight also contributes to ptosis because of the stretching of the skin envelope of the breasts that almost always do not go back to its original size after weight has been lost.
What is a breast lift procedure like?
A breast lift is performed under general anesthesia, and your plastic surgeon can choose from different techniques depending on the degree of sagging, your skin elasticity, your breast size and shape, and the position of your nipple-areola complex (NAC). The most common technique is making an incision around your areola and then moving down vertically to the breast crease and horizontally in the breast crease. Your plastic surgeon then lifts and reshapes the breast and removes any excess skin before positioning the areola to a higher position to achieve a more youthful breast profile.
“Dr. Robles is an amazing surgeon, and I cannot thank him enough for the results he was able to give me. His bedside manner was great and appropriate for a surgeon. He was very informative and forthcoming.” RealSelf User